hB 7021 has been set for a hearing tomorrow, Thursday, May 29, 2014 before the House of Judiciary Committee. The hearing will be open to the public and testimony will be accepted. A bote may occur at the discretion of the chairman. The meeting will occur at the “rise of the House” (approximately 4:00PM) in Room 101 of the State House (82 Smith Street in Providence).
Rhode Island vapers and harm reduction advocates, please do the following:
1. Attend the hearing on Thursday, May 29th 2014 to offer testimony in opposition of HB 7021
Last year, Rhode Island Governor Lincoln Chafee vetoed a common sense piece of legislation that would have banned sales of e-cigarettes to minors. Governor Chafee was quoted as saying, “As a matter of public policy, electronic cigarette laws should mirror tobacco product laws.” Consequently, it’s no great surprise that this year, legislation has been introduced that would impose substantial burdens on adult vapers in a misguided effort to discourage use of these potentially life-saving devices by smokers.
House Bill 7021 (referred to the House Juiciary Committee) would ban E-Cigarette sales to minors, but would also:
House Bill 7021 would ban E-Cigarette sales to minors, but would also:
• Define e-cigarettes as “tobacco products”” for regulatory purposes.
• Require a retailers conducting an online sale to: (1) obtain a copy of the buyer’s driver’s license; (2) obtain a statement from the buyer affirming that he/she is the person pictured, and (3) send the package through a service that checks the ID of the buyer at delivery. Retailers would be required to perform this check every time a consumer places an order.
• Mandate that e-cigarette retailers in Rhode Island obtain a tobacco license and only buy their e-cigarettes from licensed wholesalers or distributors.
House Bill 7133 (referred to the House Fiance Committee) is Governere Chafee’s Proposed budget for 2015. This bill would:
House Bill 7133 is Governor Chafee's proposed budget for 2015. This bill would:
• Apply a punitive excise tax of 80% of wholesale price on all e-cigarette devices
Can’t make it to the hearing? These are the people you need to email and contact to do your part to save vaping!
Chairwoman Edith H. Ajello (D – Providence)
(401) 274-7078 / firstname.lastname@example.org
Vice Chairman John J. DeSimone (D – Providence)
(401) 351-7373 / email@example.com
Rep. Joseph S. Almeida (D – Providence)
(401) 467-7033 / firstname.lastname@example.org
Rep. Christopher R. Blazejewski (D – East Providence, Providence)
(401) 484-8814 / email@example.com
Rep. Dennis M. Canario (D – Portsmouth)
(401) 683-4926 / firstname.lastname@example.org
Rep. Doreen Marie Costa (R – North Kingstown, Exeter)
(401) 206-6891 / email@example.com
Rep. Robert E. Craven, Sr. (D – North Kingstown)
(401) 294-2222 / firstname.lastname@example.org
Rep. Donald J. Lally Jr. (D – Narragansett, South Kingstown)
(401) 792-9090 / email@example.com
Rep. Charlene Lima (D – Cranston)
(401) 222-2258 / firstname.lastname@example.org
Rep. Michael J. Marcello (D – Scituate)
(401) 647-5905 / email@example.com
Rep. Peter F. Martin (D – Newport)
(401) 924-2402 / firstname.lastname@example.org
Rep. K. Joseph Shekarchi (D – Warwick)
(401) 827-0100 / email@example.com
Rep. Donna M. Walsh (D – Charlestown, New Shoreham, South Kingstown, Westerly)
(401) 364-6433 / firstname.lastname@example.org